Monday, September 15, 2014

An ALS Story

This touching article is a must-read (and I'm not just saying that because the writer is my college batchmate):
ALS claimed my mother’s life–but didn’t snuff out her light
By Maria Angela Socorro S. Cruz | Philippine Daily Inquirer

Thanks to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge that has been trending in the US and has made its way to Manila, the ALS Association (www.alsa.org) has already raised over $100 million.

The timing of this social media phenomenon could not have been better because it is raising public awareness of a cruel disease that slowly and silently kills its victims.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative condition that has been largely invisible to the world, but not to me and my family. ALS claimed my mother’s life two months ago. She was only 64 and had battled ALS for 17 years.

My mother was Matea Angela Santiago Cruz, Mitzie to family and friends. To my brother Mico and me, she was simply Mama, the steady, radiant sunshine in our lives.

Full story…

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.