Tuesday, April 3, 2012

WWE Is Now On Free TV In The Philippines

br2
[Photo credit: Magelet on Flickr]

In the past few weeks I've been seeing more and more plugs for WWE shows on local TV channels. Don't look now, but I think we're on the cusp of something unprecedented in Philippine free TV history.

Between Studio 23 (which carries Raw, NXT, and Superstars, and soon, Tough Enough and the various pay-per-view events) and AKTV on IBC 13 (which will soon air SmackDown and Bottom Line), WWE's wrestli—sorry, sports entertainment programs will be on free TV six days a week. Add cable channel Fox Philippines, which has SmackDown, Vintage Collection, Bottom Line, and After Burn, and Filipinos could conceivably watch a WWE show everyday.

(That those channels might trim and compress the two-hour-or-more-long flagship programs Raw and SmackDown as well as the pay-per-views, or they might not be airing the latest-in-the-US episodes, are altogether separate issues that I won't go into now.)

As late as February 2012 the majority of those shows were aired on cable channels Jack TV and Solar Sports; I can only assume that the ratings were good enough that the ABS-CBN and ABC groups had to acquire their Philippine airing rights. The change also means at least one other thing: I am not alone in my WWE fandom. We are legion, and our number will continue to grow, ha ha!

If I'm not mistaken, WWE will soon have more airing days per week on free TV than basketball, boxing, mixed martial arts, football, or volleyball—established sports all that have no shortage of followers in the country. Who woulda thunk it? The fans who lived through the '80s and had to content themselves with Pinoy Wrestling and renting Betamax or VHS wrestling tapes must be pleased. I know I am.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like the idea that ABS-CBN acquired the rights to air WWE on their network, and allied channels.
    I'm worry that they will have a long delayed on airing the latest episodes, especially for both Raw and Smackdown.
    Atleast WWE SmackDown would finally air the Full 2-Hour show here in the Philippines made possible by Fox Philippines.
    But, I am worried about the Raw Supershow or their flagship show.
    I mean, why do they have to show SmackDown, Superstars, NXT, and Tough Enough here if they did not include the WWE's #1 show which is Monday Night Raw?

    I hope atleast a local cable channel here would be willing to air the latest Full 2-Hour show of the WWE Monday Night Raw Supershow.

    I hope it would be on Balls, so that for the first time in Philippine Television, we would see a WWE Show in Full HD format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job with that last point; I forgot that the free TV channels don't broadcast in HD at present. But then again, majority of Philippine households don't have HD TVs. Only the few who have them are truly missing out on the full WWE-in-HD experience.

      I appreciate the visit and the comment. Leave a name next time won't you.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I know there arent many options as far as seeing pro wrestling live in the Philippines. What type of success do you think one might have if a promotion started from the ground up in lats say Manila? What about a wrestling school? email me.. r0nzell@aim.com

      Delete

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.