Friday, March 23, 2012

Padre Roque Ferriols Blogs

A few days back Y alerted me to a Tweet announcing one of the coolest things ever: the legendary Fr. Roque Ferriols, S.J. is now blogging.

The blog in question is entitled Malagipko, which, I'm told, is Ilocano for "I remember." The entries, written almost entirely in Filipino, are apparently from Padre Ferriols' handwritten journal and are being encoded and posted for him without much copy editing or formatting.

There have only been a few posts so far but it's shaping up to be a memoir of his early days in the Society of Jesus just before World War II broke out. I'm not ashamed to say I got a little misty-eyed at this bit from the third entry:
itong araw na ito May, 30,1941 ay isang araw na dakila sa aking buhay sa araw na ito binuksan sa akin ng kapisanan ni hesus ang kanyang pintuan, mula ngayon ang kapisanan ay ang ligaya ko at ang lungkot ko, at ako naman ay naging ligaya niya at lungkot niya
Loosely translated it reads:
This day, May 30, 1941, is a great day in my life. On this day the Society of Jesus opened its door to me; from now on, the Society is my joy and my sorrow, and in turn I became its joy and its sorrow.
Trust me, it sounds more poignant in the original. When I read it I couldn't help going, (Expletive), ang galing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.