Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mrs. Defensor-Santiago Goes To The Hague

Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago's long-time dream finally came true.
Sen. Santiago wins seat in International Criminal Court
By Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago has been elected to the International Criminal Court (ICC), the senator herself confirmed on Tuesday.

Santiago said she won a seat in the ICC but could only leave her seat in the Senate once she would be called by the ICC to report to her new work.

The Department of Foreign Affairs, through spokesman Raul Hernandez, also relayed the good news.

Full story…
Back in the late '80s when she was still the head of the Bureau of Immigration Santiago supposedly said, "I eat death threats for breakfast." Then over 20 years later she declared: "Please post all death threats on my Facebook wall." Here now are her latest thoughts on the subject, as shared in the November 2011 issue of Esquire Philippines:
Well I don’t eat death threats for breakfast because I don’t receive them anymore. I think the senders have realized the futility of it anyway. I tend to see them as sources of humor. "Oh, here’s another one, and look at all the bad spelling!" I don’t know why they make death threats in very bad grammar. Anyway, now I get threats that cases will be filed against me so I eat threats of legal action for breakfast. But all of them have been dismissed so far.

Full story…
Whether you like her politics, you can't deny that the lady is a character and always good for a laugh or two. I can't wait to read about what happens once Santiago assumes her post at The Hague. I bet hilarity will ensue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.