Tuesday, November 22, 2011

On A Bus With Boyzone And Aegis

The other day I found myself on a proverbial bus ride from hell.

Instead of screening a movie as is typical, the conductor played DVDs of a Boyzone reunion concert in Manchester, England (I know this because they kept thanking the city and saying that it had been years since their last concert) and an Aegis performance in Calgary, Alberta, Canada (I caught the opening credits) back-to-back.

Needless to say, I tried my best to sleep through the entire trip. I didn't succeed.

Each time I woke up from napping I heard the dude seated behind me singing along to whatever song it was playing. And it was half-hilarious, half-admirable how he sang along to Aegis: he would aim for the lower and middle registers, attempting to harmonize with the two lady singers who seemed hell-bent on torturing all dogs within a half-mile radius.

Unfortunately the dude didn't know all the lyrics. He could sing along with the band, but whenever the singers stopped singing, shouted, "Kayo naman!" and pointed their microphones at the crowd for a bit of community singing, he would falter or mess up words or the timing.


Confession time: based on what I saw from that DVD, I think I wouldn't mind too much if someone paid me money to sit through an Aegis concert. They play diverse covers (Asin, Celine Dion, Evanescence, Sarah Geronimo, Bamboo, Mariah Carey, and Mike Hanopol, among others) so it's possible that I'll hear a song I actually like. Bottomline, the band knows how to make their fans happy, whether it's through their signature type of music or their comedic antics.

(Of course, there is one other explanation: Pinoy audiences are very easy to please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.