Right about now the opening ceremonies should be starting. Here's hoping this season wouldn't be marred by unfortunate incident like in previous years, and that everyone complies with the newly-adopted UAAP Fan Code of Conduct.
It sucks that the league had to codify something that should have been commonsensical, but here we are. Let's just behave ourselves in order that the games will be a fun experience for everyone. After all, that is what the games are supposed to be: fun.UAAP FAN CODE OF CONDUCTAdopted by the UAAP BoardJuly 2010
Historically, sport was determined to be the more positive way of settling disputes between warring nation states. Why? Because rules were instigated to effect a measure of control on the athletes and the conduct of the activity. Next, the officials saw to it that the rules were applied to all and last, the fans could cheer for their “heroes” who brought them honor and glory. This illustrates the connection between these three participants involved in a sport event which has thus remained to the present.
As the official organizing body of the UAAP, the Board of Directors observed the escalating problem of violence during UAAP games, in particular, those involving players and fans. With the overall objective of creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for all supporters/participants of UAAP games/events, the UAAP Board of Directors prepared this Fan Code of Conduct as a guide to expected behaviors. These are the following:
1. Athletes, coaches and sport officials will respect and appreciate each and every fan.
2. Fans will be treated in a consistent, professional and courteous manner by all UAAP/sport facility personnel.
3. Fans will sit only in their ticketed seats and show their tickets when requested.
4. Fans will enjoy the UAAP sport event free from disruptive behavior, including foul or abusive language or obscene gestures (i.e. fighting, taunting, or engaging in any action that may harm, endanger, threaten, or bring discomfort to anyone in the stadium). Any fan engaging in such will be warned by the UAAP/sport facility personnel. A repetition of said behavior will subject the fan to ejection from the facility.
5. Fans carrying signs or wearing clothing with obscene, deregatory or indecent messages will be requested to discard said sign/wear the shirt inside out.
6. Fans observed to be under the influence of a prohibitive substance (i.e. alcoholic beverage, dangerous drug, etc) may need intervention and must be handled in a prompt and safe manner by the UAAP/sport facility security/personnel.
7. Fans will not engage in fighting or throwing objects. Those who engage in any of these actions will immediately be ejected from the game/venue.
8. Fans will smoke in designated smoking areas only.
9. Fans will comply with requests from sport facility personnel regarding facility operations and emergency response procedures.
10. Fans in possession of any item considered dangerous by the UAAP/sport facility personnel will be requested to turn over said item which may be retrieved after the event.
Fans may report any inappropriate behavior to the sport facility personnel at 5264553 and please indicate contact number of UAAP host school.
[Hat tip to UAAP Season 73 Official Facebook Page]