Tuesday, May 11, 2010

30DoM, Day 5: One More Casualty

Or: A song that reminds me of someone

YouTube put Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years" in its "Recommended for (Me)" playlist, so I thought I'd use it.



Some of my friends know that the intro to "Silent" scares me. My irrational fear notwithstanding, that song will always remind me of my favorite kulot. That's because (a) Ms. Amos is one of her favorite artists and (b) I've seen C play it on the piano.

The first time was in college. I forget now what year we were in at the time, or the subject we were there for, but one weekend afternoon a group of us went to Manila to visit an old folks' home. We arrived around noon so we first grabbed lunch at a local mall. While walking around the mall we saw pianos for sale. C sat at one and played the first few bars of "Silent."

The next time was Holy Week of 2004. I was at their beautiful home in Alabang, waiting for the rest of our gang to arrive before we headed to the Batangas International Port to catch the first boat to Mindoro. While we waited C fooled around at the piano, playing "Silent" and a bunch of other pieces.


Here's a fun uke cover of the song. You read that right: ukelele.

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Siya rin naiisip ko when I hear that song. :P

    y-slaybelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't touched a piano in years. Hindi kasya sa apartment. At baka pasabugin kami ng neighbors.

    I mishu! And I would love to pick your brain with all this elections churva.

    And y-slaybelle. I'm SO curious. Who did you vote for??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same guy as you, cyberlaundry. :)

    y-slaybelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y: There's another one, Pearl Jam's "Rearview Mirror." Driving music ni Kulot, panghataw sa expressway.

    C: Ang solusyon: keyboards + headphones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. T: Ohmygosh! C5 memories :) :) Have you heard the string quartet tribute to Pearl Jam? In fairness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C: Found it, so now I'm smiling like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. string quarter tribute to pearl jam!! Pwede sa baby!! :D looking it up right NOW. :) thanks c and t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ang galing di ba? Happy na ko kahit konti lang ang selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. K + T: May Foo Fighters din, and even AC/DC, I think! Torrentz away!

    ReplyDelete

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.