Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Ten

The rules: List 10 musical artists you like, in no specific order. Do this before reading the questions below. Really, don’t read the questions below until you pick your ten artists!

...
  1. Rage Against the Machine
  2. Eminem
  3. 311
  4. Stone Temple Pilots
  5. Eraserheads
  6. Nirvana
  7. Imago
  8. Wolfgang
  9. The Youth
  10. P.O.T.

What was the first song you ever heard by 6?
Something from Nevermind, most likely "Smells Like Teen Spirit." If we're talking heard heard, "All Apologies" off In Utero.

What is your favorite song of 8?
"Cathedral of Space." I always shout that title at their concerts, but it was only at the Ateneo College Covered Courts in 1996 that I saw the band play it live.

What kind of impact has 1 left on your life?
After listening to them I started to appreciate hip hop. That's saying something: in the early '90s, a time when "minsa'y pinag-aaway pa ang hip hop at metal," as The Youth put it, I was firmly on the rock side of the fence.

What is your favorite lyric of 5?
"'Cause time slips and slides into another place/ And try as we might to understand each other/ Doesn't really matter where you are/ It always seems too very far." It sounds more profound when Ely Buendia sings it.

How many times have you seen 4 live?
Zero, ha ha. It could also be "Zero, hu hu."

What is your favorite song by 7?
"Akap." I like Aia de Leon's vocals on it.

Is there any song by 3 that makes you sad?
Because it got overplayed, their cover of The Cure's "Love Song" from the 50 First Dates soundtrack.

What is your favorite song by 9?
"Tao Po," a commentary on the state of the Pinoy band scene in the mid-'90s.

When did you first get into 2?
In 1999, back when NU107 had "My Name Is" on its playlist. 

How did you get into 3?
I bought a cassette tape (!) of their self-titled album after hearing "Down" and "All Mixed Up."

What is your favorite song by 4?
"Interstate Love Song." If I ever learn to drive, that would be Track 2 on my "Songs to Drive By" compilation album.

How many times have you seen 9 live?
Twice, both in my hometown. For their second concert I only had a bleachers ticket, but I climbed over the coliseum barriers until I was in front of the stage.

Oh, Robert Javier had a bass guitar string snap. I haven't seen anything like it before or since.

What is a good memory concerning 10?
J and I used to murder "Monkey on My Back" and "Ulitin" before Philo 102 classes.

Is there a song by 8 that makes you sad?
The first two-thirds of "Cast of Clowns" and the whole of "Darkness Fell."

What is your favorite song of 1?
"Bulls on Parade" because of the awesome Tom Morello guitar solo, and because it was the perfect soundtrack to the Chicago Bulls' record-breaking '95-'96 season.

How did you become a fan of 10?
My boardmate had cassette copy of their debut album. We listened to that album so often that we memorized all the lyrics.

[Hat tip to Helgaholic.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.