Sunday, January 3, 2010

Connect, Connect

The last book I read in 2009 was Scott Turow's Reversible Errors (2002), so I was amused to find a Turow reference in an early chapter of the first book I finished in 2010, Robert B. Parker's Paper Doll (1993):
"On the bedside table was a thick paperback copy of Scott Turow's new novel."
Then near the end of Paper Doll, the following passage appears:
I sat in the heavily draped room feeling like Newton must have when the apple hit him on the head. Dr. Cockburn looked at me with heavy satisfaction.
So what do I find in Chapter 1 of Bill Mason's Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief (2003), the book I'm reading now?
Fact is, children are bombarded with all kinds of influences, and it's nearly impossible to tell which ones had which effect. Just because it makes a good story doesn't make it true. My guess is that Newton would have figured out gravity whether that apple had hit him on the head or not, if it ever really hit him in the first place.
Coincidences are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.