Saturday, October 18, 2008

Have Book, Will Read

The semester has come and gone. I had access to a library yet I didn't borrow a thing aside from textbooks. How... sad. Growing up, the reading itch was easy to scratch. My grade school had a small reading room full of folk tale books. After dismissal I'd read for a few minutes until I finished everything. At home there was an encyclopedia set waiting. I think I read that sucker from A to Z. I had access to a larger collection in high school–heavy reading like Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Bobbsey Twins. I also read some Clancy, Ludlum, and Forsythe. That's when I got my populist taste. I always made it to the library's list of top borrowers. In college I filled up a lot of library cards. Whenever I hit the maximum number a student can take home I dragged my boardmates to the Circulation Section and put the books on their cards. My eyesight went downhill from there.

6 comments:

  1. i have to blame my poor eyesight on genes and on a really bad reading habit too. Shared with you that Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys addiction back in HS (and gradeschool for me too! haha). I still haven't stopped reading (I even read in the car!) but I don't buy as many books as I used to. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's words on paper I'll read it. Anytime, anywhere. Kahit etiketa. And why buy when you can borrow, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha kasi i end up wanting to keep it! and then i buy it so i can read it over and over. and man, do i read over and over. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried e-books? Portable (if you have a reader), takes up less shelf space... Ako kasi old-fashioned, I prefer paper books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have, but i like being able to hold my books. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Korek, and being able to sleep with or on top of them haha. That happens to me a lot.

    ReplyDelete

IMPORTANT: Please be mindful of this blog's Comments Policy when posting your comments.